Welsh Construction recently completed a 12,000 SF renovation at the historic Crown Roller Mill office building in Northeast Minneapolis. The renovations came after owners decided to make capital improvements in order to increase tenancy and marketability. Filling vacancies and keeping up with workplace trends is a challenge that all building owners face, but an even greater challenge is to give tenants the modern amenities they desire while letting a building’s historic presence shine through. As experienced renovation specialists, the crew at Welsh Construction was excited by the opportunity to breathe new life into the outdated spaces at Crown Roller Mill.
Welsh Construction was involved very early in the project, collaborating with owners and the design team from Tanek Architecture. Several schematic design options, walk-throughs and budget considerations gave insight on how to maximize spatial arrangements to create a more open, welcoming work environment. All common areas at Crown Roller Mill were completed with high-end finishes that complemented the building’s historic design. The upgrades were crucial to achieve the owner’s goal of increased tenancy and to better compete with similar properties in the area. Welsh’s recommendation to upgrade the water feature and mechanical equipment in the main lobby helped to reduce maintenance costs and environmental footprint.
The biggest renovation challenge was how to update the deteriorating rooftop patio while keeping the project within budget and code-compliant; the end result, a beautiful outdoor lounge with maximized views of the Mississippi River that tenants can utilize to its full potential. Welsh is proud of the results achieved at Crown Roller Mill. The Project is now well positioned to compete in the market for years to come. The Welsh & Colliers International |MSP brokerage team currently provides leasing services for Crown Roller Mill and has successfully introduced many new tenants who are enjoying the modern conveniences provided by Welsh Construction.
• Updated poorly functioning water feature by adding a glass backdrop, lighting, railings and a new mechanical system
• Wood plank flooring, patterned carpet and built-in benches
• Modernizing locker rooms, vending area and conference room
• Curved banquette seating with locally sourced wood conference table for small meetings and team gatherings
• Better lighting with a new chandelier, wall sconces and brighter color palette
• Patio with lounging areas overlooking the Mississippi River
• Gas grill and tables perfect for an afternoon break, casual client meetings or happy hour